CfA: Doctoral Study Scholarships, Textual Microcosms: A New Approach in Translation Studies, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
The European Research Council (ERC) project Textual Microcosms: A New Approach in Translation Studies is offering Doctoral study scholarships beginning in October 2022. The program is located at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem under the direction of Prof. Ronit Ricci.
Successful candidates will be part of a unique interdisciplinary team. The project combines approaches from the fields of history, religious studies, literature, art history, linguistics and philology. It focuses on interlinear translations, texts in one language that include a translation into another written between the lines, as practiced between the 16th-20th centuries in the Indonesian-Malay World (encompassing present-day Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, southern Thailand, the southern Philippines, and diasporic communities in South Africa and Sri Lanka). The project employs the interlinear translation as a theoretical and methodological framework to study religious, intellectual, linguistic and artistic elements of a culture as they intersect, connect, and diverge on the page. It is a framework that invites exploring these interconnections from global, regional and local perspectives by “reading between the lines” of such translations, both concretely and metaphorically.
Knowledge of any of the relevant languages is an advantage (for example Malay, Javanese, Arabic, Balinese, Acehnese, etc.).
Potential candidates are welcome to contact us in advance of their application with questions and inquiries: Textualmicro@mail.huji.ac.il
Doctoral Study Scholarships for four academic years in Jerusalem:*
Successful applicants will receive a monthly stipend of approximately 6,000 ILS, tuition waiver, and travel expenses to Israel. They will be given shared office space and research facilities at the Hebrew University. Travel money to participate in conferences is available on a competitive basis. The fellows will participate in the project’s seminar and its other activities. They are expected to write their dissertation on topics related to the project under the supervision of the project’s PI.
Interested individuals are requested to submit the following documents (in one PDF file):
- Cover letter describing your academic experience and motivation for participating in the project (2-3 pages);
- Curriculum vitae;
- Abstract of your MA thesis;
- A writing sample: thesis chapter, seminar paper or a paper that has been published or accepted for publication (no more than 30 pages);
- Two letters of recommendation to be sent directly to Textualmicro@mail.huji.ac.il
Deadline for submission of application materials: March 31st, 2022. Please send the requested materials electronically, as one PDF file, to Textualmicro@mail.huji.ac.il
* Annual renewal of the scholarship will be dependent on the demonstrated progress of the fellows and on continued recommendations from their thesis supervisors. To pass from the first to the second year, Ph.D. students will have to successfully write at least one seminar paper, complete their Ph.D. proposal which will be approved by their advisor(s), and successfully advance from stage A to stage B in their Ph.D. program.