CFA: Head Librarian – Library of the Oriental Institute of the Czech Academy of Sciences, Prague, Czech Republic (Deadline: 2020-11-08)
The Oriental Institute of the Czech Academy of Sciences is seeking an experienced and motivated individual to serve as Head Librarian of its library based in Prague, Czech Republic as it undergoes the beginning phases of a planned transition to a new site.The qualified individual’s primary duties will be to oversee day-to-day operations of the library, supervise cataloguing and retro-cataloguing of the library holdings, monitor new acquisitions, and identify and manage special collections. The position is ideal for a self-motivated and self-directed individual who loves books and wishes to implement an exciting and dynamic vision for a 300,000+ volume library housed in one of Europe’s oldest institutes for Oriental Studies. The Head Librarian will supervise the library staff and report directly to the Director of the Oriental Institute.
- Minimum B.A. degree, background or experience in library sciences strongly preferred
- Fluency or near-native fluency in written and spoken English
- Knowledge of library systems and cataloguing
- Ability to manage a team of librarians and external interns
- Ability to communicate clearly with co-workers, researchers, and library patrons
- Knowledge of one or more of the languages, cultures, and histories related to the Oriental Institute’s sub-fields (Middle East, South Asia, East and Southeast Asia, Central Asia) preferred
- Manage day-to-day operations of library and oversee activities of library staff
- Identify and manage special collections (including possible digitalization)
- Support Oriental Institute researchers in utilizing and accessing library materials
- Pursue grants and other sources of external funding for retro-cataloguing of the library holdings, public exhibitions, and new acquisitions
- Formulate a new vision for the library as it undergoes a phased transition
Salary and Benefits
1300-1700 EUR/month depending on experience. Full health benefits, 5-weeks annual vacation, travel and research stipends, and support for professional development and further study.
Please send a statement of interest (no more than 2 pages), C.V., and the names of 2 references to Jakub Hruby (email@example.com).
Any inquiries related to the position may also be directed to Dr. Hruby.
Deadline: November 8, 2020
About the Library
The Oriental Institute Library (est. 1929) holds around 300,000 books, periodicals, and manuscripts related to the fields of Middle East, South Asian, Central Asian, and East Asian Studies. In addition to the general collection, the library is home to several rare collections: the 70,000 item Lu Xun library containing Chinese sources, a 3,500 item Korean library, which includes rare items from North Korea, the Tibetan Library, which houses the Tibetan Buddhist canon and other unique materials, Coptic and Arabic papyri collection, and a soon-to-be acquired collection on colonial Manchuria funded by the Japan Foundation and Czech Academy of Sciences, among others.