CfA: Lecturer or Associate Professor, Social and Cultural Anthropology, Comparative Literature and Culture, Media Studies, or Modern History, WITH a focus on Japan or on Japan and Asia
1. Title and Hiring Numbers: One Lecturer or Associate Professor
2. Term of Employment: 1 Apr. 2023 to 31 Mar. 2026
3. Renewal of Contract:
The contract is for three years, renewable only once for one year (maximum four years), depending on budgetary conditions and evaluation of the employee’s work performance and medical condition. The renewed term will end on 31 Mar. 2027. This may be changed to a tenured position, based on a review of the employee’s teaching, research, and administrative performance, as well as medical condition, to be conducted prior to the end of the third year.
4. Probation Period: Six months
5. Place of Work: Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, The University of Tokyo (3-8-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo)
6. Affiliation: Organization for Global Japanese Studies, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, The University of Tokyo
7. Contents of Work Duties:
The appointee is expected to be a specialist in education and research in either of the following fields: social and cultural anthropology, comparative literature and/or comparative cultural studies, popular culture studies, studies of culture and representations, media studies, or modern history, with a focus on Japan or on Japan and East Asia. The appointee will teach, in principle, up to four courses per semester (some courses may be quarter-term based) in English for the junior division in Programs in English at Komaba (PEAK, 1st and 2nd-year students), for the senior division in the Japan in East Asia Program (JEA, 3rd and 4th-year students), and at post-graduate level in the Graduate Program on Global Society (GSP, MA/Ph.D.). He or she is also expected to actively participate in PEAK-related affairs, including supervising and mentoring PEAK/JEA undergraduate and GSP graduate students as well as planning and administering admissions office-style entrance examinations. He or she is also expected to read and understand administrative documents in Japanese and attend meetings conducted in Japanese.
8. Working Hours: Discretionary work system for professional work applies and working hours will be deemed as 7 hours and 45 minutes per day. The appointee should be readily available for student consultation and other PEAK related activities.
9. Days off: Saturdays, Sundays, Holidays, and the year-end and New Year holidays (December 29 to January 3)
10. Leave: Annual Paid Leave, Special Leave, etc.
11. Wages, etc.:
Basic Salary will be decided taking your academic background, professional background, etc. into account. Wage Raise System: Yes
Example: Doctor / from JPY 340,000
Various Allowances: Bonus (twice a year), Commuting Allowance (basically up to JPY 55,000), and other allowances decided by the University
12. Insurance: You will be automatically enrolled in the insurance from the Mutual Aid Association of MEXT (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology) and Employment Insurance.
13. Qualification Requirements:
1) PhD in a relevant field (completed prior to the start date)
2) Experience of teaching courses in English at university level
3) Working knowledge of Japanese strongly preferred
4) Ability to respond to students’ diverse academic interests
14. Documents to be Submitted:
1) Curriculum Vitae
2) List of academic publications
3), 4), 5) Three publications in PDF format
6) A 500-word essay in English on your commitments to teaching in PEAK/JEA/GSP
7) A 500-word essay in English on your research achievements so far and research prospects in the near future
8) List of the courses you are able to teach, as well as a sample syllabus for one of the courses
9) Name, affiliation, and contact information of two referees
15. Submission Method:
The requested documents should be uploaded to the following site:
Uploaded files should be entitled: [Your last name][The first letter of your first name capitalized][Document number]
For example, the file name for Taihei Okada’s List of academic publications should be:
Inquiries should be directed to:
(Please replace ‘[at mark]’ in the above email address with @.)
* Please contact us if you do not receive an acknowledgement of receipt email from the University a few days after you have uploaded the files.
16. Application Deadline:
Applications must arrive by 23:59 (Japan Time), 10 September 2022. After screening of application materials, interviews of selected applicants will be conducted.
18. Name of Recruiter: The University of Tokyo
After the screening of the application documents, short-listed applicants will be interviewed in October 2022. The interview will be conducted either at the University of Tokyo (Komaba Campus) or electronically (e.g., via ZOOM). The travel expenses must be paid by the applicant. All applicants will be notified of the results by the end of December. There is a six-month probation period at the beginning of the appointment.
Personal information obtained will only be used for recruitment purposes.
We welcome proactive application from women in accordance with “The University of Tokyo, Declaration for Promoting Gender Equality (March 3, 2009) .”
For further information on PEAK and JEA, see:
For further information on GSP, see:
For further information on the College/Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, see: