CfA: PhD Position (m/f/d) (E 13 TV-L; 65 %) at the University of Erfurt (Deadline: 2021-04-12)
At the Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) Transregio 294 “The Structural Transformation of Property”, which is hosted at the Universities of Jena and Erfurt, the following academic research position is advertised at the University of Erfurt, part of the project JRT02 “Clash or Convergence of Capitalism: Property Conflicts over Chinese Direct Investment in Germany and the EU“ (Project leader: PD Dr. Stefan Schmalz). The part-time position (26 hours per week) is available as soon as possible.
Area of Responsibility
The project aims to analyze the expansion of Chinese corporations in the EU and Germany, in particular the conflicts arising from Chinese direct investment and the political responses to takeovers and increasing competition. The successful applicant will:
- Participate in the research tasks as well as the preparation and realization of events of the interdisciplinary Collaborative Research Centre “The Structural Change of Property” (https://www.uni-erfurt.de/max-weber-kolleg/forschung/forschungsgruppen-und-stellen/forschungsgruppen/sonderforschungsbereich-transregio-294-strukturwandel-des-eigentums)
- work on a PhD project on the internationalization of Chinese companies and Chinese direct investment in the EU and Germany
- create a data set with Chinese company data on the internationalization of Chinese firms, thereby analyzing corporate networks using tools for social network analysis, from findings the researcher will prepare high quality publications along with the team
- participate in an international research collaboration (primarily with Naná de Graaff, VU Amsterdam)
- applicants must hold a master’s degree or the equivalent in sociology, political science, international political economy, China studies or a related field
- knowledge of the political economy of China and/or transnational companies is an advantage
- full professional proficiency in English and advanced proficiency in Mandarin are required, proficiency in German is an advantage
- experience with social network analysis methods and tools and interest in qualitative social research is an advantage
- applicants should be able to work both independently and in a team, and should have good communication skills
- the SFB offers an innovative and varied working environment and the possibility of further academic qualifications in an interdisciplinary context.
- an opportunity to participate in establishing a new research center at a modern and dynamic research institution in an attractive city of Erfurt
- an opportunity to develop a research profile and the qualifications as an academic
- flexible, creative, and a family-friendly working environment with a variety of offers for families, for example, flexible childcare (“Räuberhöhle”)
- salary in accordance with the terms of the collective agreement for the public service of the Länder (TV-L) in accordance with personal qualifications up to salary scale E13
The German version of this vacancy notice alone shall be legally binding.
The position is available as soon as possible, fixed term contract for 4 years.
This call for applications is addressed to applicants who meet the requirements of Academic Fixed-Term Contracts Act (Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz). General conditions of employment of the § 91 (5) of the Thuringian Higher Education Act (Thüringer Hochschulgesetz) apply.
The University of Erfurt is committed to diversity and gender equality. It has been audited as a “family-friendly university” and has received the rating “equality excellent” in the female professor program. One of the university’s strategic goals is increasing the proportion of women in research and teaching. Qualified female scientists are therefore particularly encouraged to apply. Severely disabled persons and those with equal status are given preference in the case of equal suitability, professional performance, and ability.
The University of Erfurt promotes the compatibility of career and family and offers flexible working hours and further training opportunities as well as a range of health and prevention offers as part of the company health management.
Please send your application (a letter of intent explaining your interest in the project and details about your research experience, CV, a copy of degree certificates, a writing sample such as a MA thesis and/or one publication, and contact details of two academic references) as PDF-files by e-mail until 12 April 2021 to:
Universität Erfurt • Max-Weber-Kolleg • Postfach 90 02 21 • 99105 Erfurt
For more information please contact Dr. Amelie Stuart (email@example.com).
Please note that for technical reasons applications in electronic form must not exceed 15 MB.