The Post Doc will join the new ERC-funded project “Governing with Data: Local Experimentation in Authoritarian China” led by Prof. Genia Kostka. The position provides an opportunity for both independent and collaborative research within an ambitious project while working in a small research team in Berlin.
This research project aims to provide empirical and conceptual understanding of digitalising governance practices in authoritarian China. Through mixed-method, the project will achieve three objectives: 1. Study the variation in local digital governance modes and understand why these modes evolved in different ways. 2. Explore the mechanisms through which digital technologies are integrated into local decision making processes and governance structures. 3. Assess the impacts of new digital governance modes for citizens, businesses and the state.
The successful candidate must be willing to be based in Berlin.
Responsibilities for the Post Doc position include conducting empirical research for the ERC research project, working on joint research publications, ERC grant management, and organizing activities at the FU China Studies Institute such as workshops or events.
– Completed doctorate by the time of appointment
– Field open to any social-science discipline, e.g. political science, economics, Chinese studies or sociology
– Empirical research focus on China
– Fluency in Chinese and English. German is not a must
– Experience or strong interest in qualitative and/or quantitative research methods
– Research focus on digitalization/AI and political economy issues in China is a plus
-The successful candidate must be willing to be based in Berlin.
Applications quoting the reference code must be received no later than March 16th, 2020 preferably electronically in one PDF file
to Prof. Dr. Genia Kostka: firstname.lastname@example.org
or postal to: Freie Universität Berlin
Fachbereich Geschichts- und Kulturwissenschaften
Ostasien und Vorderer Orient
Institute of Chinese Studies
Prof. Dr. Genia Kostka
14195 Berlin (Dahlem)