Call for Papers
The 3rd EAJS Conference in Japan
Venue: University of Tsukuba, Japan
Dates: September 14-15 (Sat-Sun), 2019
Language: English (for submissions), English and Japanese (during the conference)
Project director: Prof. em. Andrej Bekeš (University of Ljubljana), President EAJS
EAJS contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Extended deadline for submissions: May 31, 2019
Notification of acceptance: the end of June
Please use our online submission system to submit all necessary documents.
Since the 1970s, the European Association for Japanese Studies (EAJS) has organised academic conferences at various European universities every three years. EAJS also started to organise a conference in Japan within the triennial schedule with the inaugural conference at Kyoto University in 2013 and the second EAJS Japan Conference at Kobe University in 2016.
The 3rd EAJS Japan Conference is to be held at the University of Tsukuba in Sept. 2019, with the cooperation of the University of Tsukuba as the local conference host and organiser.
- The EAJS accepts proposals for papers and panels from doctoral students up to established scholars. Although the conference is thematically open, we especially encourage submissions with new topics and approaches and/or adopt a fresh theoretical or methodological approach towards established research subjects.
- The EAJS considers the promotion of early career scholars as one of its most important tasks. Therefore, we specifically encourage younger scholars working on their dissertation or in their early postdoc phase to apply.
- Divided into several two-hour sessions, every paper presentation will usually last up to 20 minutes with about 15 minutes for Q&A; about 2 hours will be assigned to a panel.
- The main language of academic communication is English. However, Japanese is accepted for presentations, if an English summary is provided.
- All accepted presenters must be paid-up EAJS members.
- Please note that presenters and participants are responsible for making their travel to and accommodation arrangements in Tsukuba by themselves.
Regular conference registration deadline: July 31, 2019
Conference registration fee for EAJS members: 5,000 yen
Conference registration fee for non EAJS members: 6,000 yen
Late or on-site conference registration fee: 8,000 yen（We accept only Japanese yen.）
Reception fee: 5,000 yen
Registration website at University of Tsukuba: https://eajs2019.jinsha.tsukuba.ac.jp/
Please note that only paid-up EAJS members can present papers!
However, EAJS membership is not mandatory at the time you submit your proposal. Successful applicants may become EAJS members after their proposal has been accepted.
You can find this call for papers also on our homepage.