CfA: Assistant Professor and Associate Professor (Malay World Studies)
The Department of Malay Studies at the National University of Singapore (NUS) seeks to appoint outstanding candidates for the following two positions: Assistant Professor (on tenure track) and Associate Professor (with tenure).
Those seeking to apply must have expertise on the Malay-Indonesian region as well as strong credentials in at least one discipline in the social sciences or humanities. Research accomplishments and linguistic mastery on a wider plane of studies to include Malay world connections and comparisons with the Arabic-Persian, Mediterranean, East Asian and Indian Ocean worlds, including the global Malay diaspora, would be an added strength.
Candidates are also expected to have competence or a strong potential in conducting inter-disciplinary research and teaching to fit into the larger vision of the College of Humanities and Sciences in which the department is housed.
To apply, please submit the following as a package:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the specific position and how your qualifications and plans fit into the long-term advancement of the department of Malay Studies
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of your teaching expertise, and a proposed curriculum design for a course in the field of Malay World Studies and/or a course with inter-disciplinary contents and approach.
- Evidence of teaching experience (sample syllabi, student feedback, teaching awards).
- Two to three writing samples
- Other strong evidence to demonstrate your publication potential (in the case of hire at Assistant Professor level)
- Statement of your research and publication plan
- Statement describing your personal qualities and prior experience in leadership and collaborative work.
- A list of 8 to 10 names of referees (with affiliation, contact details and connection to applicant). For the position of Assistant Professor, you may provide a list of 3 to 5 names. They will be invited to submit their recommendation only if a candidate is shortlisted.
Application materials should be submitted online via the NUS Careers Portal and addressed to: Chair, Search CommitteeDepartment of Malay StudiesFaculty of Arts and Social SciencesNational University of Singapore
Candidates should submit all application materials by 31 December 2023. The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.