CfA: Doctoral researcher (m/f/d) in part-time (65 %) for the project “Chinese Adaptation to Conflict Risks in the Era of the Belt and Road Initiative”
The Peace Research Institute Frankfurt (PRIF) is a foundation under public law. With over 80 employees, PRIF is currently the largest peace and conflict research institute in Germany.
For the project “Chinese Adaptation to Conflict Risks in the Era of the Belt and Road Initiative”, supported by the German Research Foundation (DFG), we are seeking to employ at the earliest possible date
a doctoral researcher (m/f/d) in part-time (65 %) in salary scale E 13 TV-H, for three years (under the terms of the WissZVG).
Your responsibilities include:
- Participation in designing, preparing and conducting a survey on the conflict perceptions of Chinese enterprises active in overseas conflict environments;
- Participation in conducting personal interviews with experts and other groups of actors within China;
- Implementation of a Ph.D. project in the area of Chinese adaptation to conflict risks;
- Participation in PRIF’s self-governing institutions.
You should fulfill the following requirements:
- A university degree of at least good in political science, peace and conflict studies, sinology or another relevant discipline;
- Very good knowledge of spoken and written Chinese;
- Firsthand knowledge of China and ideally experience in engaging Chinese enterprises and their overseas representatives;
- A research interest in Chinese conflict risk management, Chinese development, foreign or security policies;
- Willingness to conduct research in an international team;
- Willingness to communicate research findings to political decisionmakers and the general public.
Very good command of English, spoken and written, as well as competent handling of standard office software are prerequisites. Knowledge of German is not a prerequisite, but it is expected that the applicant will show willingness to make an effort to acquire German language skills within the next one to two years.
You can expect:
- Family-friendly working hours and the possibility to partially work remotely;
- Internal and external training opportunities;
- A motivated and committed team;
- An employer pension scheme (VBL).
PRIF is a recipient of the Total E-Quality award and seeks to promote equal representation in the work force at all levels and work/life balance. In the case of equal qualification, applicants with severe disabilities will be given preference.
Please send your application documents, including a letter of motivation, a CV without photo, certificates, and an outline of your doctoral project of no more than five pages in German or English, in a single pdf file via e-mail to bewerber(at)hsfk.de. The deadline for applications is July 28th, 2023. Please include the position code “Kennziffer 4.2”. Unfortunately, application expenses cannot be reimbursed.